We jumped back into Estimation 180 today but they were hard! Ones like this (day 52):
were not met with much success. It is very difficult to gauge the thickness of the glass so my students were way off. This pattern continued for the next few estimations. I was surprised when one student had estimated 1212 ml (the highest guess of the class) for this one:
(The answer was 1210 ml.) She got a lollipop! We finished off with the turkey napkins question so that they would all feel better about their ability to estimate.
We moved on with surface area and volume. We worked through an example where they were given slant height but not vertical height.
They figured out that they needed to use the Pythagorean theorem in order to be able to calculate volume. Next, they worked on four problems involving surface area and volume of a pyramid. One required them to work backward to find the slant height and two had rectangular bases.
We finished up collecting some data which I will feature in a separate blog post.