Friday 15 February 2019

Grade 9 Academic - Day 8

Today's warm up was challenging. As I circulated, I did not see the same answer twice. But as they talked and compared work, they fixed errors and did a really good job of this. I told them how happy it made me that not a single person did 15 - 2. We then consolidated together.


Next they worked the remainder of yesterday's questions. They did the first two on whiteboards in random groups.


It was interesting to see the strategies used and the different answers. Once they had attempted both questions, I had all the groups rotate clockwise and give feedback. I asked them to check for mathematical correctness and communication. They wrote notes on the whiteboard then rotated back to their original solutions to see the feedback. We then consolidated together. What's in green for example 2, below, is what they told me had to be true about all the solutions.


Then we finished off the rest of yesterday's handout. Most students were okay working through this on their own, though we did take it up together.



We did a little refresher lesson on distributive property. 

We had enough time left to practice a little bit. We talked about what happens when you multiply x by x and what happens when you multiply x by y.


I had a few more questions that I wanted to do with them, but I think it's far more important that my students understand what we have done and feel confident moving forward than just rushing through the work. We'll pick up where we left off on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment