Thursday 16 November 2017

Log Graphs

I was recently inspired by this tweet from Alex Overwijk:




I created my own set of logarithmic graphs - ten with base 10 (white paper) and ten with base 2, 3, 4 or 5 (green paper).



My students, in random groups on big whiteboards, had to determine the equation of the graph they chose. All groups started with base 10 graphs (many stayed with those for the whole activity) and checked their answers on Desmos (and with me). I had printed two sets so they had plenty of new graphs to choose from when they correctly identified their graph. I didn't give them a lot of hints as I circulated as I really wanted them to find strategies to help determine the equations. They were using what they could see about the graph (vertical asymptotes, for example) to help map points from the parent function to their graph. I was really impressed with their efforts. I did decide to write the base on the graphs that were not base 10 as I thought it was too much of a step up at that point.

Here is some of what I saw:






Here is the file. Thanks for the idea, Al!

My plan is to revisit these graphs when we solve logarithmic equations which will allow them to use algebraic skills to help find the equations without having to know/guess which point was mapped onto each new point.


No comments:

Post a Comment