Monday 14 November 2016

Median, Altitude, Perpendicular Bisector Warm-Up

My grade 10 academic students have spent the last couple of classes working on finding the equations of medians, altitudes and perpendicular bisectors. Some did a lot of work and some, well, let's just say that some did less. As we move into looking at properties of quadrilaterals, I wanted to ensure that everyone has at least a basic level of comfort with the prior work. So, I came up with a warm-up that I thought I would share.


It incorporates collaboration and finding mistakes (there is no way that all groups will do this correctly on the first try). I suspect some will struggle finding the group with the same question as them, but they will learn to follow instructions better (hopefully).

Here are the questions, linked here, that I will cut into strips for them.


I have 28 students, so 14 pairs which means that I needed 7 questions in order for each question to be repeated. Two groups will eventually find the centroid (via equations of medians), two will find an orthocentre and three will find a circumcentre.

If you can think of ways of improving this, please let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog just recently (via wodb.ca). Thank you for inspiring ideas. I will try this with my students and will share my experience.

    ReplyDelete