Wednesday 20 May 2015

MFM2P - Day 68: Assembly

Today all grade 9, 10 and 11 classes had an assembly first thing this morning. We got back to class with only a few minutes to spare. There was not enough time to do the visual pattern as it was quadratic:


I can see how this pattern is growing in lots of ways. I can come up with the rule from the number of blocks. What I am having difficulty with is coming up with a rule from the pattern in such a way that my grade 10 applied students could understand it. If anyone can help me with that I would greatly appreciate it.

What we did for the 5 minutes I had them in class was multiply two binomials. We did (x - 4)(x - 3) and I had a student put his solution on the board with a lot of help from the class. A quick refresher in the short time we had. Back to trig tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hmmm...but you can't create rectangles from each of these. So I think I'm still stuck. Glad to have you working on this with me :)

      Delete
    2. Ignore the first step in the picture. The other steps are what you have (in red). Create the rectangle by making a copy of each step, flipping it over and placing it on top (shown in pink). The first rectangle is 2x3 but it contains 2 copies of the step, so divide by 2.

      Let me know if the description doesn't make sense and I'll try again.

      Delete